Cape Postcards circa 1900-1906
To the north of Cape Town’s central district lies Camps Bay, largely undeveloped for most of the 1800s. Lord Charles Somerset used the area for hunting, with his lodge at the Roundhouse. The first road, Kloof Road was built in 1848 and in 1884 Thomas Bain was commissioned to build a road from Sea Point to Camps Bay using convict labour. The road was completed in 1887 and named Victoria Road to honour Queen Victoria’s jubilee in 1888.